Making the dream of a state-of-the-art animal shelter in DuPage a reality
Our long term goal is to help DuPage County Animal Care & Control (DCACC) realize the dream of a new state-of-the-art facility. This new facility will allow DCACC to operate more efficiently, provide much-needed space for humane education programs, and allow for the compassionate care, socialization, enrichment and training for unwanted and abandoned pets. The new proposed facility will enhance the quality of life of the animals during their stay at the shelter
We are moving closer to the goal of a larger, better equipped animal shelter. On May 24, 2016, DuPage County Animal Care & Control completed a nearly $1 million remodeling project of its animal shelter. The DuPage Animal Friends contributed $337,000 of the funding. This non-taxpayer supported renovation included many needed improvements to keep the animals healthier and calmer during their stay at the shelter.
The improvements include:
- New, powerful HVAC system that completely exhausts all the inside air, and a state-of-the-art air filtration system that gets rid of bacteria, pollen and odors and circulates fresh air back into the shelter.
- New skylights in the kennels provide natural lighting so the dogs can have a sense of night and day, and new LED lighting to help make the animals calmer and improve the overall shelter environment.
- New lowered ceiling and insulation as well as the whisper-quiet HVAC system provide noise abatement in the kennels.
- New fire sprinkler system installation for the safety and protection of the animals and staff.
- New non-slip, epoxy flake flooring for disease control and safety.
- A new isolation kennel ward to separate animals that might have a spreadable condition like kennel cough or K-9 influenza.
- New portholes in the cat cages allow the cats more space to move about freely.
We are working hard to help achieve the dream of a larger, state-of-the-art animal shelter facility. Meanwhile, the DuPage Animal Friends actively assists DCACC with any other necessary capital improvements as identified by the shelter staff and leadership. Please help us strengthen lifesaving, compassionate and innovated initiatives at the county shelter by making a gift today. Thank you for your kindness.